Moving outdoors to the natural habitat!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

My ecological footprint showed that it would take 3.6 Earths to provide enough resources for me. I used the earthday network footprint calculator. I had no idea I used that many resources. I'm pretty sure none of us realize how much we actually use. 54% of my uses are from services, 19% are from food, 12% are from goods, 8% from shelter, and 7% from mobility. According to my results, it takes 16.1 global acres of Earth's productive area to support my lifestyle. Wow. I really need to change some of the things I do. I commute to work with my roommate when we work the same shift, I walk to and from school, and I walk to the grocery store if it is nice enough outside. Those are the places I go the most. I don't go grocery shopping unless I completely run out of food. I do my best to eat everything I have before getting more. I will honestly work at it as best as I can to reduce my resources.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in your boat, too! My results shocked me and I do lot of the things you do, thinking it was enough. Crazy to think that there are other people in the world that live a lifestyle that causes a smaller ecological footprint.

    ReplyDelete